PhD student receives AIAA Wright Award

A PhD student from the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at NC State University has be granted a prestigious $5,000 award from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).

Abinash Sahoo was selected by the AIAA as the recipient for one of two 2022 Orville and Wilbur Wright Graduate Awards This award is given in memory of the Wright brothers’ contribution to the evolution of flight.

Sahoo works with Dr. Venkat Narayanaswamy and Dr. Kevin M. Lyons in the field of combustion, high-speed flows, laser diagnostics and atomic spectroscopy.

The focus of his research is to develop diagnostic tools for 2-D temperature and species composition measurement in turbulent flames and use them to understand the combustion dynamics of ultra-clean flameless oxidation (FLOX) or the MILD (moderate or intense low oxygen dilution) combustion process. Abinash has a passion for both physics and engineering, and he hopes to someday become a faculty member at a university and pursue his passion for research and teaching.

“I am deeply honored to receive this award,” said Sahoo. “This award inspires me to pursue my passion for research in the aerospace and energy sciences and boosts my confidence. This award reflects all the hard work since my freshman year in Aerospace engineering and is a big motivation for my future career.”

According to the AIAA website, the organization is committed to shaping the future of aerospace by providing over $100,000 in academic scholarships and STEM education grants annually to support the next generation’s dreams of becoming aerospace and aviation professionals.